Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What is my responsibility as a grandmother?

My daughter has 3 daughters. The oldest is 11 years old and for years has been behaviorally a challenge. She has temper tantrums; anger issues, etc. But, these problems only seem to get out of control when she is home. She is currently in an after school program where she's supposed to learn coping skills. She does well in school, however. Last night my daughter had to go to DCYS in Connecticut to meet w/case worker & police cause she told them she had hit the girl on the w/a belt and left a slight mark. I am 60 yrs old and my daughter makes me feel like I should drop everything and run over to her house every time there's a crisis. She usually keeps me at arm's length re: updates on what's happening, then when she calls me all frantic, I get into a panic/fear mode cause I wasn't brought up to speed on the events prior. I love my granddaughter, but don't have the space to take her in along with the fact that I have a fulltime job. Last night she went to her aunt's house for a minimum of 2 weeks. I will help as far as transporting to school & to her counselor's appts. Her mother didn't even kiss her good-bye and tell her she loves her. She was relieved to get her out of the house after years of stress. Understandable as to why she hit her (which she shouldn't have..but there's a 3 week old baby; and an 18 mo.old toddler in house as well). What more am I supposed to do. All I can do is what little I have been doing. Bottom line is that the child is made to feel safe, secure and happy. If my supporting her alienates my daughter, oh well..

No comments:

Post a Comment